877 Cedar Street, Suite 100
Santa Cruz, California 95060
email Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Revenue Division Closed 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.)
The Finance Department administers the City’s financial matters, maintains the City’s accounting records, collects and invests City revenues, pays invoices, and handles City purchasing functions. The Finance Director is the chief financial officer of the City and advises the City Manager and the City Council on financial matters.
The Finance Department is comprised of four divisions:
Administration and Accounting:
- Directs overall department operations;
- Performs short-range and long-range financial planning;
- Monitors financial condition of the City;
- Develops and implements financial policies, plans, and reporting systems that help the operating departments achieve their objectives and assure the City's long-term fiscal health.
- Conducts audits of hotels and motels in accordance with the City's transient occupancy tax law;
- Verifies compliance of lease agreement terms, with the City, by lessees.
- Administers Social Services Programs;
- Invests funds in accordance with the City's investment policy;
- Prepares the City Budget; and
- Prepares annual financial reports.
- Processes all City disbursements;
- Ensures that all payroll and vendor records are maintained and reported in accordance with federal and state tax laws;
- Administers the capital asset policy;
- Provides division-related professional accounting services, including the projection of personnel costs; and
- Administers the following programs: Refundable deposits, petty cash, and unclaimed checks.
- Provides services for all City departments and is responsible for ensuring that expenditures comply with the law;
- Issues purchase orders and provides fair and prompt service to the City's business community;
- Ensures goods and services received comply with the City's terms and conditions; and
- Maintains on-line bids and RFPs.
- Responsible for analyzing and collecting revenues for all City operations;
- Maintains accounts receivable, Alcohol Sales Permit fees, and transient occupancy tax records; and
- Provides Business Licenses and maintains the Business License Internet database for public access.