Skip to page body Home About Us What's New City Government Departments Living Visiting Doing Business I Want To...

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

Where can I play tennis in the City of Santa Cruz?

University Terrace Park

Meder Street. Second Entrance at Nobel Drive.

Sand, Grass, Asphalt

Basketball Court, 2 Tennis Courts, Playground, Large Lawn Area, Picnic Tables, fenced Off-Leash Dog Area

Does the City of Santa Cruz have a skate park?



225 San Lorenzo Blvd at Riverside Avenue. Limited on site parking. Nearest public parking at Laurel and Front Streets.

Open 9 a.m. to sunset daily. All skaters must wear a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads and have skateboards and in-line skates with composite wheels only. Bicycles, scooters, and metal skate wheels are not allowed in the skate park. The skate park will be closed during rainy or wet conditions.

Before his passing in 1997, Ken Wormhoudt was the world’s premier skate park architect and continues to be well recognized as the pioneer of skate park planning. His approach, which his son, Zach Wormhoudt follows to this day, is to involve local skaters in designing their own park, with the architect providing a realistic sense of options and helping the skaters to select and arrange the features which meet their needs. Ken would provide the skaters with modeling clay and have them work together to design their own ideal park.

15,000 square foot park featuring full pipe, two bowls with pool coping and tile, practice bowl and street course with steps, hubba ledges, wall-rides and metal rails.

Does the City of Santa Cruz have a teen center?

Yes! The Santa Cruz Teen Center offers recreational activities such as basketball, pool tables, Wii, X-Box 360, outdoor activities, foosball, movies, internet, music and a pretty chill space. Also pick up our current calendar to find out what’s happening for teens in Santa Cruz.

The Teen Center sponsors dances, band nights, special events, day and overnight trips, sports, and outdoor events in addition to daily activities. Check our monthly calendar and our Facebook for ongoing activities!

Does the City of Santa Cruz have a senior center?
We offer senior activites at the Louden Nelson Community Center at 301 Center Street. The center offers a wide variety of classes, trips, activities, special events and services, which are available to anyone 50+. For more information, call the Downtown Senior Center Desk at 831-420-6180 or visit our website.
Are there any adult sports leagues in Santa Cruz City?
The City of Santa Cruz operates leagues for both men and women in a variety of sports. Check out our adult sports pages on the website for more information.
What is the difference between City and Santa Cruz County Residents?

There are both Santa Cruz County and Santa Cruz City Parks and Recreaiton Departments.  The City of Santa Cruz is an established City just like Scotts Valley and Capitola are cities.  Everyone outside the City of Santa Cruz City Limits becomes a Santa Cruz County Resident.  People who live outside of Capitola City are also Santa Cruz County Residents.  The Santa Cruz County is like an umbrella that hosts all the cities under it and people who are not in a specific City are still in the County.

             City of Santa Cruz Parks and Recreation  AND  County of Santa Cruz Parks and Recreation 
       323 Church St, Santa Cruz CA 95060                979 17th Ave, Santa Cruz CA 95060
Call: 831-420-5270                                                  Call: 831-454-7900

Do I need a permit to take down/trim a tree?
See our Tree FAQ sheetClick Here.
What are your proof of residency requirements?

A form of identification with your name and current City of Santa Cruz resident address such as:

Valid driver’s license, Personal Check, Utility bill, Deposit slip

How do I sign-up for a sports team? Do I need proof of residency? Can I still sign-up?

A) Contact Team Manager to play on desired team or

B) Sign up on a Free Agent List.

***All players require proof of residency or non-resident fee at the time of sign-ups. NO EXCEPTIONS.***

Please check with the City’s Sports Homepage for sign-up deadlines.


Do I need to have a reservation to use a city park?
Reservations can be made for Harvey West Park and DeLaveaga Park.  Neighborhood Parks are on a First Come First Served Basis.
I live in Santa Cruz, Why am I paying a non-resident fee?
City residents receive a lower fee for Parks and Recreation classes because they pay city taxes that support our programs. County Residents do not receive a discount because they do not pay city taxesThe City of Santa Cruz has residential limits. The City of Santa Cruz residency includes addresses from West Cliff to 4th Street in the Harbor Area. Occupants who live in addresses outside of these city limits are considered non-residents and will pay non-resident fees.