The Santa Cruz Police Department Community Room serves 3 functions: (1) training facility for the Police Department and other City Departments, (2) Emergency Operations Center (EOC), and (3) a general meeting room for all city residents.
To check availability of the community room, as well as room rental rates, call Kimberlee at 420-5810.
Free Wi-Fi is provided in the room by Got.net
Santa Cruz Police Department Community Room Policies
- Availability is based on a first come, first served basis. Reservations will not be accepted without a completed application. The Santa Cruz Police Department reserves the right to reschedule or cancel any event in its sole discretion without liability, subject to refund of all moneys deposited by the applicant.
- Use of the facility, shall be restricted to City residents, groups or individuals. No non-resident group or non-resident individual use will be permitted. Reservations will not be taken more than ninety (90) days in advance.
- Capacity: Occupant load as established by the Santa Cruz City Fire Marshall is 85 seated, 205 standing. Room Dimensions: 34’ x 50’ (approx.)
- The Police Department may terminate any special event when it is necessary for the safety of the public, for the protection of resources, for violating rules and/or regulations of the City of Santa Cruz, or deemed necessary in the public interest. The City, its agents or employees, by reason of such termination will incur no liability, and any refunds, fees, or deposits will be made solely because of such termination.
- The Police Department reserves the right to make any decisions on any matters not expressly covered by these rules and policy regulations and may require the applicant to provide or submit information which the Police Department determines to be in the best interest of the City of Santa Cruz in order to protect the facility.
- All uses of the Community Room shall be reviewed for conformance to this policy and scheduled by the Police Department. The right to revoke permission for use of this facility at any time is retained by the City of Santa Cruz.
- The applicant shall indemnify and hold the City of Santa Cruz, its officers, agents and employees, harmless from any damage, claims for damage, or judgments for injury to persons or damage to property which is not the result of negligence of the City or its employees or agents. The Police Chief, or his designee, may require the applicant to provide an endorsement of comprehensive liability insurance if he deems the activity to be conducted by the applicant to contain unusual risk or damage or injury to participants or the public.
- Hours of operation shall be Monday through Sunday, 8:00am to 10:00 pm. Scheduled use of the Community Room must include preparation and clean-up time. No use shall conflict with the laws of the State of California or the City of Santa Cruz.
- No advertising shall be exhibited and no solicitation or sales made in the building or on the grounds without the prior written permission of the Chief of Police or his designee.
- Fee/Deposits: Fees/deposits are due when the completed application is submitted. Local checks or cash with proper ID will be accepted. The cleaning deposit is refundable (if applicable) within two weeks of the final scheduled event through the Finance Department.
- Alcoholic beverages and all other illegal substances are strictly prohibited, either in the facility or on the grounds. Firearms are prohibited.
- No amplified music is allowed.
- Smoking is not permitted in alcoves or City public buildings.
- Meeting coordinators should inform participants that the Police Department will not provide message services. No support services or supplies will be provided.
- No electronic or electrical equipment shall be disconnected or removed from the room or its component stand or shelf. Electrical outlets are provided.
- A cloth covered bulletin board is available for use with provided push pins. The use of nails, screws, tacks, pins or other objects into the floor, walls, ceiling, partitions, doors, door or window casings is strictly prohibited.
- The meeting coordinator shall be responsible for the condition of the facility; writing surfaces wiped clean, floor cleared of debris, tables & chairs cleaned and set to their original position, and kitchenette (if used) cleaned and in an orderly fashion. Additional charges may be assessed against the applicant resulting from the use of the facility, damage to the facility, or additional services in the nature of janitorial work, which may be required due to the use of the facility. The determination of the assessment of additional charges shall be at the sole discretion of the City.
- All entry/exit doors shall be secured, locked and the key returned to the Santa Cruz Police Department. If after hours, place the key in the drop box located at the back of the community room.
- Authorized representatives of the City shall have the right to enter the facility and all parts thereof at any and all times during a scheduled event.
- Storage is not available in the Community Room or on the grounds for equipment before or after the event. No exceptions will be allowed.
- Participants using the Community Room between the hours of 8:00 a.m. & 5:00 p.m. may obtain a day-use parking permit at the front counter.