The City of Santa Cruz adopted an ordinance in 1981 to ensure that the city’s limited water supplies are put to good use. The regulations prohibit the following wasteful and unproductive uses of water:
- excessive irrigation running off property or spraying on to sidewalks and paved areas;
- outdoor washing, including clean of structures and vehicles, without a self -closing hose nozzle;
- uncorrected plumbing leaks - by law, a reasonable effort must be made to repair or make arrangement for fixing a leak within 24 hours of finding it;
- unauthorized use of water from a fire hydrant;
- other indiscriminant uses of water
To report water waste contact the Water Conservation Office at (831) 420-LEAK (5325) or email. It helps us resolve matters quickly if you can provide specifics (such as the date, time of day, exact location, the nature of the problem, and how long the situation has been observed).
We also appreciate hearing reports of leaks in the street so we can send out a field supervisor to investigate.